Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow.

Wallace Stevens, Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird

I love days like today. Mostly undisturbed snow on the ground and in the trees, birds and squirrels at the feeders. This afternoon is a quiet time in a busy month.

Several of the ideas I have for this blog have been going slower than anticipated. I have taken a new position at work, and the transition is one of stress and exhaustion. Factor into that the holiday tumult, and there is no time for winery visits and road trips.

All is not lost. I have recruited two sassy and brassy dames who will join me in some visits after the New Year. More may join us as schedules allow. We are going to travel to some of the more distant Indiana wineries and see what we have been missing.

More Indiana wine reviews are on the way as well. My opportunities to go out and taste Indiana wine have been limited in the past few weeks. If I go out, Indiana wines have not been available. The Indiana wines I have been drinking lately have been bottles from recent trips to already reviewed wineries. Wanting to shake things up a bit, I've decided against reviewing those.

I have also been emailing some players in the Indiana wine industry and have received some committments for interviews.

While certain aspects of the blog are moving slowly, other things are picking up just fine. Readership in one month has been much higher than I anticipated-quickly averaging over 20 unique visitors a day and showing a steady progression upwards. This proves there are people eager to learn about and experience Indiana wines and wineries.

I have also found myself a small part of the wine blogging community. Much like winemakers, they are a gracious and sharing bunch. I encourage you to read other wines blog, especially those whose links you will find on the right. I would especially recommend a fellow Hoosier wine blogger and his two well-respected wine blogs, The 89 Project and 2 Days Per Bottle. Not only are his blogs innovative, you will never drink a glass of wine again without wondering what the Wooden Guys would think.

No comments: