Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Indiana Winery

Indiana has another winery! Wildcat Creek Winery joins 36 other Hoosier wineries. It is, along with Whyte Horse Winery, the only winery in the Lafayette area. Their website is only a title page now, but I am sure they will update it soon. They are currently only open on the weekends.

The winery is operated by Rick and Kathy Black. Rick has been making wine on an amateur level for many years, including a win for Best Amateur Winemaker at the 2002 Indy International Wine Competition. The wine list is only four wines right now, and from the picture on the website, they appear to Riesling, Lafayette Blush, Lafayette White, and Lafayette Red. More wines will be coming later this year.

The winery is located in a restored farmhouse right off I-65. I will be traveling to Chicago tomorrow, and hopefully will see a sign on the interstate.

I called and left a message asking the Blacks to let me know when they update the website. I will pass that information on to you.

According to the Indiana Wine Grapes Council (where I got most of the above information), four more wineries are scheduled to open before the end of the 2009.

No comments: