Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tasting Notes: Buck Creek Winery

I sat down this evening for an interview with Jeff Durm, co-owner of Buck Creek Winery. We discussed a variety of topics concerning Buck Creek and Indiana Wines. I will bring you that interview later this week.

In the meantime, I have organized my tasting notes from my visit Saturday to Buck Creek. When KeeKee and I arrived, the place was packed. The tasting room is not the largest, but there are plans to remedy that situation, details of which will be forthcoming. We simply walked around for a little bit and looked at the wine related merchandise they offer for sale and did a little conversation dipping to see how the staff interacts with the customers.

The staff is friendly, certainly one of the friendliest I have encountered in a winery. There was an older gentleman behind the counter at first, whom I later learned was Dick Randolph. He was soon joined by Jeff and Kelly Durm. One server did not stick with certain tasters-they moved amongst everyone and seemed to have great chemistry together. They were insistent on trying certain vintages, but they were never pushy. It was obvious there was great pride in the product. If they thought it odd that I was taking notes of what they were telling me, they didn't show it.

KeeKee and I mostly agreed on the wines, and even though we were in a different mood that day (I wanted semi-dry whites, she wanted dry reds), we went far down the scale, tasting several wines.

Our recommendations:

Syrah-described as "a full bodied wine with ripe berry aromas and chocolate overtones. Finishes with raspberry, black pepper, and spice."

Accurate description except neither of us could taste any chocolate overtones. The others were there in abundance, especially the black pepper. I also noted "light coffee, maybe leather" on my sheet. Finish just a little harsh, but this would disappear if drank with food or perhaps some aging. Kelly did not have to tell us this wine is great with steak-the pepper flavor begs for it. Thanks to this wine, I still can't get my mind off of steak. $17.95

Cabernet Sauvignon-sheet said "a rich full bodied dry red was aged in American oak barrels." Kelly said it was bottled 10 days prior. It's youth was evident, but it also showed great promise. Smoother than the Syrah, and no detectable aftertaste. They recommended a month more in the bottle, but I would like to cellar it for a year. Great potential, one of the best young Indiana reds I have tasted, especially at this price. Expect several medals hanging on this bottle this time next year. $18.95

Forget Me Not-"Spicy white Alsatian style wine made from Traminette grape has a lovely floral aroma with honey, apple, and grapefruit flavors." Jeff said some of the Tram comes from the estate, the rest from Indiana sources. It was a touch drier than I prefer my Trams, but your mileage may vary. I wrote "mellow" on my tasting sheet. The grapefruit was evident, and to a lesser extent the apple. A fine semi-dry white, but I preferred the reds. $13.50

Der Champion-"A Riesling white wine which has wonderful grapefruit aromas, with melon and ripe peach flavors." I figured with the last name Durm, I should get some good Riesling here, and I was not disappointed. My favorite taste of the day, and you just read my rave for the Cab. Everything the description said, especially the melon flavors, which were soft and ripe. I also noted rose and pear. $13.50

Trilogy-"A blend of three native American grapes. Steuben, Concord, and Catawba make this sweet wine full of ripe berry flavors, with a wonderful floral aroma." Jeff told me that this wine is 70% Steuben, and 15% equal parts Concord and Catawba. A great wine for by the pool. Sweet, but not cloying. A good way to finish the tasting session. $11.50

We tasted a few more, but I am limiting my review to five. Between us we bought six bottles, and I would have bought more but I made a vow to cut back until my wine rack clears up a little.
A very impressive selection from a very young vineyard. As my interview will note, the crowd I saw Saturday arrived via highway traffic, word of mouth, and the net, since Buck Creek has no outside retail sales. This winery is one to watch.
Image from Buck Creek Winery website.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you live in the Indy area, try out this winery. They do specialize in sweet wines; however, some semi-sweet wines are quite good. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

If you live in the Indy area, try out this winery. They do specialize in sweet wines; however, some semi-sweet wines are quite good. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Download 16,000 Woodworking Plans & Projects
https://woodworkingplanst.blogspot.com
Woodworking guide offers anyone of any skill level the ability to build amazing projects. The guide is extra helpful because it offers more detailed explanations, videos and blueprints then your typical woodworker magazine.