Friday, November 28, 2008

Turtle Run Happenings

Due to traveling, Turtle Run Winery owner Jim Pfeiffer didn’t receive my email asking for holiday wine recommendations in time to post. However, he did want everyone to know about two new releases from his vineyard. How could I refuse someone who is not only owner of Turtle Run, but also the “Chief Bottle Washer?”

Jim is a self-described “blend-o-holic.” He’ll blend varietals that can stand on their own until he finds the perfect combination to put in the bottle, proving that sometimes the sum is greater than the parts. For instance, in Max’s Small Batch Red ($15.00), Cab Franc makes up 50% of the blend. Jim told me he previously sold plenty of Cab Franc on its own. (I believe it: Cab Franc is one of my favorites, and I wish it got more respect solo.) However, Jim experimented and eventually settled on adding 33% Zinfandel and 17% Syrah to finish. An excellent blend that highlights the positive attributes of all three varietals and it is selling well.

Speaking of Syrah, Turtle Run just released Turtle Run's latest vintage ($15.00). Already barrel aged for nearly a year, Jim notes the bouquet of blackberry and blueberry, a bit of pepper and a finish of butter. Lots of Indiana wineries are making good Syrah lately, and I can’t wait to taste this one.

Speaking of trends, Jim is ahead of the curve on another trend in Indiana wine: port. His third vintage of port, Pop’s Port ($25.00) is a six grape blend with a lot of depth. Jim says, “I simply wouldn’t know how to string the Christmas lights without a glass of Pop’s Port in hand.” I adore port, and am glad so many wineries are blending it.

I have not visited the grounds of Turtle Run yet, but I have tasted their wines before. Good things are happening at this vineyard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Turtle Run is one of the best in Indiana. Many, inexpensive, dry wines!