Friday, February 20, 2009

Reader Mail

Got a few more questions in the mailbox in the past few weeks, and thought I would answer them for all. Here they are, perhaps edited for length and clarity. As always, please write me with questions at indianawineblog@gmail.com. However, I must request that you not solicit me for legal advice.


Do you only drink Indiana wine? If not, what wines do you prefer to drink when you are not drinking Indiana wine?

I drink any wine I can get in my glass! I enjoy Indiana wines and like to write about the industry, but they are certainly not the only wines I drink.

I will try just about anything, but prefer semi-dry whites and whites with a touch of sweetness. Riesling and Gewurztraminer are my favorites, but I also enjoy Chianti, Cabernet Franc, and Traminette.

I enjoy your tasting notes. What is your procedure when you visit? Do you identify yourself?

Thank you. Tasting notes are fun to do, but time consuming. I still have one outstanding which I have told myself I will get to this weekend.

When I visit a winery, I want to be treated just like any other guest. So no, I do not introduce myself as the writer for this blog. However, I don't lie about anything either. If someone introduces them self to me, I introduce myself by my real name. If someone asks what I do for a living, I tell them my real job, but I don't mention this hobby of mine.

I try to remain somewhat anonymous for a few reasons. Like I said before, I want to be treated just like any other guest. I don't want special treatment. In order to be write from the guest experience, you do in fact have to be treated like any other guest. If a winery has a tasting fee, I want to pay it (so I can write if I thought it was worth it). If employees are rude (something I have never experienced in Indiana, but have other places) or inattentive (something I have experienced here, but not since I began writing this blog), I want to experience it. Also, due to my job, when I can visit a winery is usually peak traffic time for them, and I don't want extra attention paid to me at the expense of other guests. I don't want salespersons to hover over me, allowing me to write my notes and sip in somewhat quiet contemplation (which can be an advantage of visiting during rush hour-the salesperson can't hover if he or she has other customers to serve) . Somewhat to my disappointment, nothing gets extra attention at a winery like a customer taking notes.

I think some employees have figured out that there is something strange about the person they are serving. I have introduced myself a few times after the tasting and purchases have been made, but only when I have communicated previously with someone via email or phone and want to introduce myself. I wait until after the purchases have been rung up so no one attempts to give me a discount. I usually don't introduce myself though, because I also don't want to answer questions about what my review might entail.

What are your qualifications to write about wine? Do you have any education in this area?

I have neither qualifications nor wine education. I have experience drinking wine and genuinely enjoy it, but I am no sommelier.

I have been frank in previous posts that I think others could do a much better job than myself writing this blog. However, no one had done so, so I decided to try. I wanted a method to improve my writing that was not work related, and thought it would be a great experience. So far, it has been.

As far as education, I knew a good amount about wine before I started this blog, and believe I learn more everyday. I read books, other blogs, magazines, USDA and university reports about viticulture, attend wine tastings, visit wineries, and seek just about any other outlet to learn about wine. It's been great fun!

What's your biggest wish for Indiana wine?

A Great Lake! Since we are not going to get that (besides the few miles of industrial wasteland, I mean, shoreline, we have of Lake Michigan), I hope that Hoosier wineries continue to realize their potential and limitations and strive to be the best that terroir and their skill allows them to be.

No comments: