Sunday, February 15, 2009

Tasting Notes: New Day Meadery

Last weekend, I drove to Elwood to visit New Day Meadery. I've seen their meads at the Mass Ave Wine Shoppe, as well as a couple of the farmer's markets, but never got the chance to either taste any or visit the meadery itself. The weather was nice, and I thought it was the perfect excuse to visit Indiana's only meadery.

I must admit, my experience with mead is limited. The only one I can recall tasting is Oliver's Camelot Mead, which KeeKee and I often drank while trying to survive law school. A few Indiana wineries have a mead on their menu, but they tend to be limited reserves and are often out of stock. I knew that New Day is an artisan meadery, and specializes in drier meads and fruit blends, but knew little else. So, I educated myself a little before I drove to Elwood.

New Day's website is a great help, and this page here includes a link to pdf file that gives a great condensed version of the history of mead. I also found some excellent information here.

The drive was pleasant enough, and the directions were fine (the website is smart enough to have a Google Maps link so you can plug in directions without leaving the page). However, unless I missed it, there was no signage off of IN-37. Not a good idea, especially since impromptu foot traffic is a great source of sales.

As I arrived and came in, the sales person was sitting in the small tasting area waiting for someone to come in. I was surprised there was no one else there, though if there were, it would be difficult to find a spot, since the tasting room is one of the smallest I have visited. I was greeted immediately and very heartily, and as the conversation progressed, the enthusiasm he had for the product was evident. He had me so caught up in conversation, I totally forgot to get his name! He did mention he was not the owner, so I know that much.

Unlike most Indiana wineries, New Day does charge for tastings. The fee is $5, but the pours are generous and you get the full flight, so it is well worth it. I even asked to taste one twice, and there was no hesitation.

My notes:

Dry Hard Cider ($12) When they say dry, they mean it. Didn't dislike it, but it was not what I look for in a cider. Your milage may obviously vary. Mineral and flint notes which seemed to overwhelm the apple flavors. It was noted this was made from five different apple varieties.

Dry Mead ($16) Great color and bouquet, of honeysuckle, clover, and ginger. On the tongue, it struck me as a very dry Reisling, and really did remind me of a summer meadow, a theme which would present itself again and again. I liked it, but would not drink it alone. Would be perfect with cheese.

Dry Peach Honey Wine ($20). My notes say "EARTHY!" The peaches come from Laporte County, and the honey, like most of the honey used, is from Indiana as well. I could smell very slight peach notes, with vague floral and pear notes. No residual sugar in this wine, and it shows, again, unlike much of what I was used to, but pleasant.

Dry Blueberry Honey Wine ($20) I dreaded this one, because I tend to despise blueberry wine. Nice deep rose color. This is the one I tasted twice, but even then, I would have not guessed there were blueberries in there unless told. I tasted cherry. Think of a cherry wine (a good cherry wine) bolstered with a great floral underpinning, and you get this wine. Crisp and solid. One of my favorites, and I was very happy to see blueberry used in such a way.

Dry Red Raspberry Honey Wine ($24) The best bouquet of the flight. I smelled my mom's razzleberry cobbler when I put my nose in this glass. That, and that wonderful meadow aroma so prevelant in these meads. Slightly tannic, which surprised me, and I was also surprised by how hearty this wine was. Would compare this wine in heartiness to Pinot Noir. Good finish.

Semi-Dry Mead ($18) There is residual sugar in this mead, but it is still very dry. I would hesitate to call it semi-dry just by mouth feel. Minerals and cloves dominate. It was more warming than the Dry Mead, and more enjoyable.

Semi-Sweet Black Raspberry Honey Wine ($25) Says semi-sweet, but again, comparatively speaking to other Indiana wines with that designation, I would consider this to be much drier than those. Rich and deep, and would be great with chocolate. Very smooth and enjoyable.

I also tasted and purchased the Plum, but will be bringing that to a dinner party later this month for a group review. It was the only mead I purchased, not because I wouldn't want to, but because I am already getting lectures over my burgeoning wine rack. Besides the mead, New Day also sells some products made from local honey. I did purchase some honey infused with peach, and will use that for baking.

I was very impressed with this unique Indiana winery. Great, great products unlike anything else in Indiana. The prices are higher than other Indiana wines, but honey produces less mead than grapes produce wine. Also, the limited quantities produced factor into the cost. Every bottle purchased lists the quantity produced (for example, the plum I purchased notes that only 91 cases were made).

If you frequent Mass Ave Wine Shoppe or the Winter's Farmer Market here in Indianapolis, treat yourself and purchase one of New Day's fine meads. Better yet, journey up to Elwood and purchase one yourself, while enjoying a full flight of unique mead. Note New Day is only open Friday-Sunday from 1-6, except during the holiday season.

EDIT: Co-owner Tia writes me to tell me the gentleman who helped me is named Gary. He started out as one of New Day's customers and is now selling the mead. He's obviously good at it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mom's razzleberry cobbler? Thought it was Mrs. Smith's... :) Another law school survival staple.

Charles said...

Don't be giving away my mom's secrets!

Anonymous said...

Nice review of the meadery; many people do not believe you can make GREAT wine from honey, only the drippy sweet stuff; Brett & Tia have done a great job showing what you can do and have done it very well.

rick

Stacy Disarrayed said...

Thanks for this info/review...we've been wanting to get up there.
Actually I didn't know I could get it in any stores locally.
We'll have to get up there.

Anonymous said...

Charles,

Brett here from New Day...Thanks for stopping by the tasting room and posting about your experience on the blog!