Monday, February 23, 2009

Wine on Tap?

Mich Wine reports that new ( but already very popular) Michigan winery Left Foot Charley is offering some of their most popular wines on tap at the tasting bar. Customers will also be given the option of receiving 1 liter "growlers" or bringing their own bottle for filling. European wineries have been doing this for years, and by allowing customer to draw popular wines for sampling and purchase straight from the tanks, the need for bottles is reduced. Also reduced is the frustration winemakers feel in spending time and expense bottling their wine, only to take those bottles a few feet away to the tasting room to be opened, sampled, and thrown away.

The only concern is shelf life, as these wines should be consumed within 2 weeks.

This is an idea I am surprised has not taken root elsewhere. I can think of several Indiana wineries who could market this very well.

3 comments:

Andy said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
http://www.vintage cellars.com

Anonymous said...

The idea of on-demand bottling is certainly unique. My first thought was wine is subject to what is called generically "bottle shock" following the bottling process. Most winemakers expect to bottle and then wait at least two weeks, sometimes more then a month, for the flavor and nuances to come to the full. My experience is the wine tends to have a harsh overtone, be a bit brittle in the mouth, before smoothing out with time. So i will just say "hummm..."

rick

Charles said...

Thanks for the insight, Rick. I guess the question that begs to be answered is why is this the norm in Europe?

I suspected when reading the article that this would apply to only table wines, but if even those are seriously compromised, as you say, "hmmmmm."