Sunday, March 1, 2009

Around and About

Latest news and observations:

Was in Kroger looking for a King Cake (late I know, but hoping against hope) and saw several carts full of wine half off. Got some great deals, including a few Indiana wines. I heard several of the area Kroger's are also clearing out their stock, but I am not inspired enough to go all around. It takes a lot of effort to even get me in the door of a Kroger, especially one with such poor service as the one at 65th and Keystone.

In other retail "bargain" news, I also saw this weekend that Meijer is now selling Oliver's Sky Dog for $3.99 a bottle. This is on the heels of several other deep retail sales and price drops I have noticed over the past several months. Having previously been less than enthusiastic, I can't say I am surprised. Still, that price point can't be a good sign, especially since I saw the wines debut in some places at $8.99. Can a reformulation be far behind?

The Indiana Uplands Wine Trail is hosting their very popular March Gladness event the weekends of March 14-15 and 21-22. This event offers VIP tours, tastings, and hors d'oeuvres at each of the eight wineries on the trail. Tickets are $30, and can be purchased at each of the eight wineries. After visiting all eight wineries, you will be entered into a grand prize drawing at the 2009 Vintage Indiana Wine Festival.

Will you be at Vintage Indiana? I'll be there with KeeKee and the Silver Fox. June 6, 2009 at Military Park in downtown Indianapolis from 11am-7pm. Sample a boatload of Indiana wine, as well as food, art, and entertainment. A hotel package is available, but details have yet to be forthcoming despite the website saying they would be available by now. Looks like a few other updates need to be done to the site as well, and I would not rely on the site for anything other than the date for now, but hopefully that can be taken care of soon. Any Hoosier winery that doesn't make their way to this festival is missing a huge marketing opportunity.

Make plans for this weekend! Grab a great lunch somewhere downtown (save your money for your wine purchases and not on overpriced fair food) and amble over. One of the best things about this festival is that it is one of the few of the downtown fests that doesn't allow people to bring their pets. Sorry, but pooch has no place with thousands of people in the middle of a wine tasting. I would highly recommend you either have a DD pick you up or take advantage of the overnight package, you will be tipsy at the end of your tasting.

10 days after that , we have the Indiana Wine Competition. June 16-18th. Despite my previous post, this might be something worth seeing.

And further in the future, don't forget the Swiss Wine Festival in tiny Vevay. Looks like they have their website up and running. August 27-30th, 2009. Hopefully that time will work for me, and I can head down there.

No comments: