Saturday, March 7, 2009

Living in the Past

When I first moved to Indianapolis for law school, I remember seeing a winery on Mass Ave, next to the theatres and restaurants. That winery, Gaia Wines, closed down in 2002.

So imagine my surprise when I stumbled across this article, dated January 20, 2009, talking about the wonderful things Gaia Wines is doing in the heart of Indianapolis.

Ouch. Anyone familiar with the back story of that winery will appreciate how cutting this article truly is.

I also noted with amusement this passage:

"Although often not widely recognized outside the state, the Indiana soil and climate provide great growing wine conditions, especially for the ever popular and dependable Cabernet Sauvignon grape varietal."

There are some great wines being made in Indiana, but to say our climate is great for Cab is pushing it. The Indiana Cabs I have tasted have been at best average. But facts are not in the writer's arsenal.

I did attempt to write the writer and offer him/her/them a correction, but they weren't interested.

Look for another post on Gaia Wines in the next month or so.

1 comment:

Margaret Broderick said...

Couple things, since updates are so important. Gaia closed in 2003.

I tried to find your information to send you a thank you and somebody else isn't naming names!

Understanding the need to tell the story without fear and in truth. I stand by every word in the book, and my brutal honesty was less about moral or legal judgment, and focused on education.

The FDIC stuff is dry. I felt it critical to let people know about banks getting in trouble and where it can lead. We know now. Sounds like you are a lawyer, so you could supplement with actual court facts and know that we were paid by the bank (not near the value of what we spent 9 years building, much less the fraud that took place). But that is for another chapter...
Thanks for keeping it real with Indiana wine/
Margaret