Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Review: New Day Meadery Semi-Sweet Plum Honey Wine

Instead of me being the sole reviewer, my thoughts will be blended in with others gathered at a dinner party tasting.

I purchased this bottle on my earlier visit to New Day. I thought it would be a great treat for the next dinner party I attended.

The directions on the back of this bottle said to give the bottle plenty of time to breathe. The bottle was in my cold car all afternoon, in the fridge for an hour, and open for thirty minutes. It was meant to be enjoyed after a great dinner (which was enjoyed with a very good DonnaFugata) and some dessert.

Everyone enjoyed the mead, and everyone seemed to be surprised by it. Oliver's Camelot Mead has been everyone's sole experience with mead.

The overwhelming amount of flowers in the nose was noted by everyone. The fruit was also noted, but most said it did not smell too much like plum. "It smells very sweet," was a common note.

Upon tasting, all were surprised by how much less sweet the mead was in the mouth. Still sweet, but nowhere near Camelot Mead. "I was afraid this was going to be syrupy enough to put on pancakes, but it is actually very pleasant and great for dessert" was one reply. Again, there was some confusion over the plum-the taste wasn't that plummy. All were happy with the taste, but one person noted an off note with the finish. One person wished the mead had been served ice cold.

When I revealed the price ($22) there was a little shock. However, given the expensive artisan process used to make the mead, no one could find too much to quibble with. Most agreed this would be a great unique gift, as well as occasional treat. "I can't imagine myself drinking this unusual wine on a regular basis" was one remark.

I normally like to review the wine on the second night, but it didn't last that long.

If you are an avid wine drinker who likes an occasional treat, you might like this. I will probably stick mostly to port for my wine splurges, but will certainly add New Day's products to the mix.

No comments: